Train Season Tickets (aka Travelcards)
Train Season Tickets / Travelcards are likely to offer better value than daily tickets if you are making the same journey on three or more days within a week and may be purchased from and for all National Rail Operators.
Train Season Tickets are available for consequtive periods of seven days, one month, and any period between one and 12 months. For added convenience, you can include PlusBus or a Travelcard for the London underground and bus travel with your rail season ticket.
Train Season Tickets are available for most short and medium distance journeys on the National Rail network.
Train Season Tickets are not generally available for long distance journeys. For very long journeys, an All Line Rail Rover Ticket can work out a lot cheaper than buying individual tickets and gives the added bonus of unlimited travel anywhere on the National Rail Network. They are available for periods of 7 or 14 days - more information can be found on the National Rail web page.
Train Season Ticket Price Calculator
Determine the Cost of a Season Ticket using the National Rail Season Ticket Calcultor (you'll be redirected to the National Rail web page that will open in new window), enter the desired departure and arrival station names, select the peiod required in the form below and then click calculate.
Important: Train Season ticket prices on the National Rail Train Season ticket price calculator reflect current prices, however, it does not take into account any future changes in your fares so till you have purchased your season ticket all prices are subject to change.
What Journey Can You Buy A Train Season Ticket For
Train Season Tickets are available for most short and medium distance journeys on the National Rail network. Train Season Tickets are not generally available for long distance journeys, but maybe available where a train company chooses to offer them.
For very long journeys, an All Line Rail Rover Ticket can work out a lot cheaper than buying individual or season tickets - especially if you first purchase a National Rail Railcard for just £30. You will also have the added bonus of unlimited travel anywhere on the National Rail Network.
Rover tickets are available for periods of 7 or 14 days and may be purchased at any railway station or online here. More detailed information can be found on the Rover & Rangers web page.
Which Train Company or Route Can I Use
Unless the season ticket says it can only be used on a specific Train Company, it is valid on all Train Company services on the route and within the zones for which the ticket is issued.
Train Season Ticket with 'Dual Route Availability'
If two railway lines run close or on geographically parallel routes it may possible to buy a specially priced Train Season Ticket with dual route availabilit.
For example a Season Ticket from Farnborough to London can be requested to be available to use from Aldershot or a Season Ticket from Huntingdon to London can be available to use from Cambridge.
Special Train Season Tickets
- Annual Gold Cards - Gold Cards are annual season tickets with a difference! When you buy an annual season ticket for a journey entirely within the Network Area, you are automatically issued with a Gold Card.
- Early Bird' Season Tickets - First Transpennine Express offers discounted Season Tickets for travel on earlier trains.ravel between Huddersfield/Dewsbury/Leeds and Manchester Piccadilly for those passengers who can arrive at Manchester before 0730. The return journey must depart between 1000 and 1600, or after 1830. Ask at the booking office for more details and price.
- Southeastern offers discounted 7 day or monthly Season Tickets for travel on earlier trains from Gravesnd and Meopham to London. Ask at the booking office for more details and price.
- First Capital Connect 'Flexitime' discounted season tickets if you travel at certain times. Flexitime season tickets are valid for travel in the country-bound direction by any train on any day. On Mondays to Fridays travel in the London-bound direction is only permitted on trains timed to depart between 1200 and 0230. No restrictions apply Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
- PLUSBUS Season Tickets add-on's are available to 170 towns and cities across Britain. They are valid for set periods to match your train season ticket: 7-days; 1-month; 3-months and 1-year and give you unlimited 24/7 bus travel on all participating bus operators’ services around your origin, or destination town.
Train Season Ticket Refunds
If you stop travelling and no longer need your Season Ticket, hand it in at, or post it to, the ticket office where you bought it for a refund on the unused portion. Any refund will be the difference between the price you paid and the cost of a ticket or tickets for the period for which you have actually used the ticket, plus an administration charge.