Swindon to Cardiff Trains
Booking train tickets for travel to Cardiff from Swindon by rail is quick and easy when you use the Railsaver National Rail Journey Planner above.
All you need to do is enter Swindon and Cardiff as your from and to station, select your travel dates, choose your preferred departure and arrival time and then click the 'Find Tickets' button.
Railsaver will search for and display the cheapest combinations of train fares to get you to Cardiff from Swindon on the date and at the times that you have selected.
The price of your train ticket will be for the complete rail journey from Swindon to Cardiff and include any en-route connections you may need to make on your rail journey to Cardiff.
Important: When you book a Swindon ¦ Cardiff train ticket using the Railsaver National Rail Journey Planner at the top of this page the price of your ticket will include any connections you may need to make en-route to get to Cardiff from Swindon, and you will not need to purchase any additional train tickets.
Trains to Cardiff from Swindon
Cardiff has a total of twenty train stations that form part of the National Rail network known locally as Valley Lines.
The two main Cardiff train stations in the city are Cardiff Central and Cardiff Queen Street. Both are popular with commuters, visitors and locals providing a quick and efficient way of travelling into the heart of metropolitan area.
Cardiff Central is a major interchange on the UK’s rail network providing links and connections to such places as London, Birmingham, Newport, Bristol and Southampton and is where your train from Swindon will terminate.
Cardiff Queen Street is the second busiest railway station in the city, being the main hub of the aforementioned Valley Lines, and main commuter station for the local area workforce. It is also situated close to the three main shopping centres in Cardiff, St. David’s, Queens Arcade and The Capitol making it ideal for shoppers and visitors alike.
Cardiff Central has seven platforms, every train from Platform 6 calls at Cardiff Queen Street while Valley Line trains from Cardiff Queen Street call at Platform 7 and continue to north-west Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan.
Arriva Trains Wales are the primary train operating company operating out Cardiff Central providing regular services to and from Cardiff Central. Other mainline services are provided by CrossCountrry Trains and Frist Great Great Western.
If you are traveling between Cardiff and Swindon by train your ticket will entail travelling with at least one of the following National Rail train operating companies that offer rail services to Cardiff railway station.
Arriva Trains Wales who provide the bulk of the services to and from Wales, including:
- Ebbw Vale Parkway via Rogerstone and Risca and Pontymister
- Swansea, Carmarthen and Milford Haven
- Cheltenham Spa via Gloucester, Maesteg and Fishguard Harbour
- Holyhead via Newport, Hereford, Shrewsbury, Wrexham General, Chester, Llandudno Junction and Bangor
- Manchester Piccadilly via Newport, Hereford, Shrewsbury and Crewe
Milford Haven/Carmarthen via Bridgend and Swansea from Manchester Piccadilly
- Fishguard Harbour via Swansea and Carmarthen
- Maesteg via Pontyclun and Bridgend from Cheltenham Spa
- Coryton via Cardiff Queen Street, Heath Low Level, Ty Glas, Birchgrove, Rhiwbina and Whitchurch
- Bargoed via Cardiff Queen Street, Caerphilly and Ystrad Mynach
- Rhymney via Cardiff Queen Street, Ystrad Mynach, Bargoed and Tir-Phil
- Merthyr Tydfil via Cardiff Queen Street, Radyr, Pontypridd, Abercynon and Quakers Yard
- Aberdare via Cardiff Queen Street, Radyr, Pontypridd, Abercynon and Mountain Ash
- Radyr via Ninian Park, Waun-Gron Park, Fairwater and Danescourt
- Penarth via Grangetown and Dingle Road
- Barry Island via Grangetown, Dinas Powys and Barry
- Bridgend via Grangetown, Dinas Powys, Barry, Rhoose Cardiff International Airport and Llantwit Major
- Treherbert via Cardiff Queen Street, Radyr, Pontypridd, Tonypandy, Llwynypia, Ystrad Rhondda, Ton Pentre, Treorchy and Ynyswen
CrossCountry Trains who provide rail services to and from:
First Great Western who provide rail services to and from:
- London Paddington via Bristol Parkway, Swindon and Reading from Swansea
- Taunton via Bristol Temple Meads and Weston-Super-Mare
- Manchester Piccadilly via Bristol Temple Meads and Birmingham New Street
- Swansea via Bridgend, Port Talbot Parkway and Neath from London Paddington
- London Paddington, Taunton, Westbury and Portsmouth Harbour
- Portsmouth Harbour via Bristol Temple Meads, Bath Spa, Westbury, Salisbury, Southampton Central, Fareham, Cosham, Fratton and Portsmouth and Southsea
Swindon to Cardiff train tickets may be purchased at any train station with a staffed passenger service counter or a self service ticket machine. It is however usually always cheaper to book your Swindon to Cardiff train ticket online which you may do here by as much as twelve weeks in advance.
Railsaver only displays the cheapest combinations of Swindon and Cardiff train fares, that include any connecting rail service you will need to travel on, to get you from Cardiff to Swindon as quickly and as cheaply as possible. All you need to do to book a cheap train ticket to Cardiff from Swindon is use the Railsaver National Rail Journey Planner above to check train times, compare fares and then book your train ticket from Swindon to Cardiff online.
Cardiff to Swindon Split Train Tickets
Splitting your Swindon to Cardiff train ticket is a great way to save money - even if you book and split your train ticket on the day of departure.
You still travel on the same train and at the same time - the only difference is you could pay a lot less for exactly the same rail journey to Cardiff from Swindon.
To see how much you can save by splitting your Cardiff to Swindon train ticket use the automated Railsaver Split Ticket search and booking service that you will find here.
If you need more information about trains from Cardiff to Swindon (or any other train station) including train times, ticket availability, arrival and departures times of trains from Swindon or prefer to book your Swindon to Cardiff train ticket by phone feel free to contact us for assistance.