Train Ticket Options
Although the different train ticket types might look bewildering at first, it’s actually fairly simple to find the right ticket for your journey.
Choosing the type of train ticket best suited for you all depends on how flexible you need to be with your travel arrangements, and whether you need to travel in peak times (generally before 09.30 and between 17.00 and 19.00 Mondays to Fridays) or not.
Main Types of Train Tickets
There are three primary groups of train tickets whose prices often vary quite considerably. Huge savings are able to be enjoyed simply by choosing the type of ticket most suited for your journey.
The three main type of train tickets and their essential characteristics are:-
Advance Train Tickets
- Not flexible: for travel on a specified train on a specified date
- Savings of up to 80% (sometimes more) compared with buying a ticket on the day of travel
- Limited availability of the really cheap tickets but may be booked up to 12 week in advance
- Are available on all long-distance routes, but not available for most short journeys
- Must be booked in advance and not later than the day before travel
- Are not refundable, but can be amended for a fee
Click Here for more detailed information on Advance Train Tickets
Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak Train Tickets
- With Off-Peak train tickets you can travel on any train outside the “peak” hours
- With Super Off-Peak tickets you may be restricted to traveling later, or not in the evening peak
- Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak Return tickets enable you to travel back on any date within a calendar month
- Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak Day Return and Single tickets are valid for one day only
- Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak train tickets can be booked up to 15 minutes before the departure of your train
- Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak train tickets are refundable
Click Here for more detailed information on Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak Train Tickets
Anytime Train Tickets
- Offer complete flexibility: travel on any train on the date(s) your ticket is valid
- Anytime Single tickets allow you to to travel on the date shown on the ticket or on the next day
- Anytime Return tickets allow you to travel on the date shown on the ticket or within four days
- Anytime tickets are available on all routes
- Anytime train tickets can be booked up to 15 minutes before the departure of your train
- Anytime train tickets are refundable
- Anytime train tickets cost more than other types of train tickets
Click Here for more detailed information on Anytime Train Tickets
Other Types of Train Tickets
In addition to the three types of primary train tickets there are:-
Rail Saver Money Saving Tips
RailSaver is here to help you pay less for your train tickets, whether you are a business traveler, a student, a tourist, a senior citizen or somebody who just likes traveling on trains.
For money saving tips like how split tickets save you money and advice on how to find cheap train tickets click here to access our Cheap Train Ticket guide.
You could also be pleasantly surprised at how much less you could pay for your train tickets by using the brand new Railsaver Split Ticketing facility that you are able to access here.